Supporting our family businesses
There are over 200,000 family businesses in Scotland, as many as 80% of businesses in some areas of North Ayrshire. Their success and sustainability are crucial to our economy and communities and we want to support them to remain in North Ayrshire as they grow and pass the business on to future generations.
A unique area of support
Family dynamics can bring an extra layer of complexity and challenge when you’re running a business, and only 12% of family businesses reach the third generation of family.
North Ayrshire Council is the first local authority in the UK to have a family business adviser who has completed the STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) Advanced Certificate in Family Business Advising.
You can access guidance on a range of issues including:
- Development of a shared purpose for being in business together
- Succession planning, helping the transfer to retirement
- Corporate and family governance issues
- Supporting future leaders
- Exploring exit options including Employee Ownership Trust model
Additional advice for your family business can be found here: